Friday, February 8, 2008

One-on-One With General David Petraeus



WASHINGTON - Speaking on a scratchy telephone line from Baghdad to D.C., the top commander of U.S. forces in Iraq confessed something: The stress of the war is taking a toll on U.S. forces.

He was confirming Joint Chiefs Chairman Michael Mullen's assessment that U.S. forces are significantly stressed. The cause of that stress? Gen. David Petraeus says it's the "long and repeated deployments" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I think I'm qualified to talk about that. I added it up the other day and I think I've been deployed for over 50 months since 2001, and I'm not unique. There's nothing easy about what we've been doing."

But he also says what U.S. forces are doing is important.

See article and listen to the interview.

No comments: